Monday, July 16, 2012

Moby-Dick: The Original Bosom Buddies


Oh man. My computer is really old, so I can't update my "plug-ins" for the browser, and writing these blog posts has turned into a mental chess match between me and my Powerbook G4. I'm not even good at chess with humans. I'm good at Stratego, though. I'd be able to vanquish any computer in a mental Stratego match, including the computer inside KITT from Knight Rider.

I've recently begun reading Moby-Dick. It is my summertime tome. My goal is to write updates on my Moby-Dick experience in my blog, here. It's a good book. Did you know that Herman Melville was from New York City? He was born there in 1819. He mentions some nice local NYC places, like Rockaway beach. I've been to Rockaway beach numerous times. The waves are tremendous. Did you know that, during his time in Massachusetts, Melville's next door neighbor was Nathaniel Hawthorne? Not too shabby.

I'm about 70 pages into the book. The best character so far is Queequeg. That guy rules. He is from a small island near New Zealand, and he is covered in tribal tattoos, and he carries shrunken heads around and shaves his face with his harpoon. Also, he has teeth that have been filed to points, like the clown from Stephen King's IT. Ishmael shows up to a broken down inn in New Bedford, MA, and is forced to share a bed with Queequeg, and he is afeared of him. In the morning, Ishmael wakes up and notices that Queequeg's arm is around him, and they're spooning. Within 24 hours they are super best pals and delight in platonic snuggling and pillow talk. Queequeg promises to be Ishmael's best buddy for life and always to protect him. It is a beautiful pagan-Christian bro-mance.

Then they're on a schooner to Nantucket, and some guy mocks Queequeg, and Queequeg throws him in the air--not hurting him, just scaring him. Then, a few minutes later, when that same guy gets knocked overboard by the boom, Queequeg magnanimously saves him from drowning. You simply can't go wrong with Queequeg. Great guy. I hope Melville doesn't kill him off too quickly.

This book rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment